Orthodontist or Dentist: Who Will Treat My Child’s Teeth?
Dentistry is a broad field, encompassing a number of skills and disciplines. Dentists are qualified to handle all aspects of dental care, right from routine procedures, to preventive measures, and from diagnosing issues, to performing surgery. On the other hand, an orthodontist is a specialist. Their job is to correct the shape, alignment and appearance of teeth which are crooked or broken. Hence, all dentists aren’t orthodontists but all orthodontists are dentists. So, if you are seeking dental care for your child, who should you opt for? Here’s a brief guide to help you make the right choice:
When to Take Your Kid to a Dentist
You should your kid to the dentist if
- You feel that your child’s dental health is not up to par and there is the risk of disease and infection. Moreover, if your child’s teeth have bacteria building up or you suspect there is tooth decay or a cavity, you should take him/her to the dentist.
- You want more information on how to keep your child’s teeth healthy and also how to convince your child to adopt these habits for the long run.
- Your child has started cutting teeth – at this time, you may start their yearly preventative visits to the dentist
When to Take Your Kid to an Orthodontist
- As mentioned above, orthodontists specialize in aligning and restoring proper shape to teeth. So, if your kid has crooked, broken, or misaligned teeth, you should see an orthodontist without delay. The same goes for kids who have more teeth than normal.
- The alignment of the teeth is causing over-bite or under-bite. Either condition can be dangerous as it may lead to injury inside the mouth.
- Your child is having trouble speaking or chewing because of the placement of his/her teeth. Moreover, if your kid snores, it can be because of the alignment of the teeth.
- Your child complains of pain in the jaw or on a particular tooth.
So, as you can see, figuring out whether to opt for a dentist or an orthodontist is not all that complicated. If you need an orthodontist, Angelakis Orthodontics and Dr. Angelakis are waiting for you!