My Braces Are Loose! Now What?
If you notice that one or more of your brackets on your braces have become loose, it’s a big deal. Braces work by applying gentle force to move your teeth into their proper position. When one part isn’t working, the whole system fails and that’s why it is important to have the bracket repaired as soon as possible.
Sometimes it may be difficult to come to our office right away, so here are some tips to try until you can:
- If the loose bracket is rubbing on your gum and causing irritation, adhere a piece of orthodontic wax or sugar-free gum over it.
- If the elastic has also come off of the bracket, remove the bracket using a tweezers. This will prevent it from falling off in your mouth and getting swallowed.
- Call our office to set up an appointment to have it repaired and receive further instructions.
Avoiding certain activities can actually prevent loose brackets. While you are wearing braces, you should avoid the following:
- Eating chewy or hard foods
- Chewing on fingernails
- Biting on the ends of pens and pencils
- Playing contact sports without a mouth guard
Having a successful orthodontic treatment depends not only on our expertise but how you care for them at home. We know it can feel like you are going to be wearing braces forever, but the results they give you will last a lifetime. By being diligent with your home care routine and maintaining regular checkups with us, you will be on your way to a dazzling, gorgeous smile. If you have any questions about your treatment or need to have a bracket repaired, don’t hesitate to contact us right away.